Seasonal Eating...Creamy Turnip Soup: Freakin' Delicious!!



Creamy Turnip Soup



















I know what you're thinking....turnips...yuck. Seriously...this soup is fantastic. It is!! Absolutely restaurant worthy!

I first read this recipe in Garden and Gun, in the column on seasonal eating. We try to practice slow food as much as possible, and eating local, so with over an acre of turnips I'm pretty much game for trying something new. You may have read this post about the dogs eating turnips on our daily nature walks (still haven't figured that one out!), or this post about using raw turnips in salad with a recipe for Lavender Vinaigrette and a bunch of fun facts about the nutritional value of turnips.

By now you've probably gathered we have alot of turnips, and new ideas for using them get me pretty stoked.

And I get to use some of my Chesnok Red Garlic from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds that I planted last year. (Remember that fantastic Garlic Scape Pesto? I can't wait for summer to get here so I can have this glorious concoction again!) Doubly stoked!
Turkey Creek Farm Chesnock Red Garlic



















Anyway, this recipe begins with roasting the garlic. I had pre-roasted garlic, which I keep in the fridge in a little olive oil for spreads, dips and so forth. (I also keep pre-chopped garlic at the ready for cooking.)














I purposely picked some of the smaller turnips in the field because the bigger ones get really fibrous and bitter.














So here's the recipe. This is a wonderful winter soup, and I think it would make a great first course to a dinner with braised short ribs or a hearty roast.

Creamy Turnip Soup
from Holly Herrick's Southern Farmers Market Cookbook
via Garden and Gun Magazine

1 head roasted garlic
4 cups white turnips, trimmed, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
4 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper (I used white pepper)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 slices prosciutto, cut into thin strips at 1 inch intervals
1/4 cup whole cream or creme fraiche (I used cream)

Wrap garlic in foil and roast at 425 degrees for 30-45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out soft pulp by pressing blade of a knife against the bulb to release the roasted flesh; discard the papery casings. Place garlic, turnips, onions and stock in large saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes.














Puree until smooth with an immersion blender or food processor. (I used my food processor.)















Return soup to pan. Add nutmeg, prosciutto, and cream.














Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, stirring to blend. Garnish with freshly chopped green onions and serve immediately with crusty bread and a simple salad. (I did not have salad, too, as this as a very filling soup...uh...and I ate 2 bowls.)

(I think chives would also be a tasty garnish. I'm particularly fond of garlic chives.)

Now I'm off to Amazon to check out the Southern Farmers Market Cookbook. Might be another one I'll have to add to my already huge cookbook library!

I'd love to hear if any of you try this recipe. Let me know!









Cathy

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts