A Little Something to Warm You Up on a Cold Winter's Night

Is it cold where you are? It is January, after all. Dear daughter said it was snowing in the pacific northwest. Ten inches on the ground and more coming down. It's been pretty chilly here in Oklahoma. And even though I've lived in Alaska, and in the upper midwest, I've certainly acclimated to our warmer climate. 
Warm Spiced Wine courtesy of Turkey Creek.



















It's cold here tonight, so I built a blazing fire and made some warm spiced wine. Yumm. I've had this recipe for over 20 years and keep it on hand in the winter months with a few bottles of red wine. Bonus! It's great for gift giving, so keep that in mind for next Christmas! A bottle of red wine and a package of spice mix with directions attached...Maybe Valentine's Day? With chocolate?

So before we get to the recipe, I have to tell you about Eva's visit. Eva, as you all know, is my supplier of locally sourced goat milk for the goat milk soap we make here at Turkey Creek. Well, she stopped by to drop off some fresh milk and introduce me to her little friend, Jack. Not your typical farm dog, I'll agree, but he fits right in with the big dogs, horses, cows, pigs and goats on Eva's farm.
Eva and Jack



















Isn't he cute? Wish he'd wandered up to my farm. We'd be snuggling on the couch right now. Anyway, in addition to the goat milk and Jack, Eva brought me some delicious chocolate from Czechoslovakia. It's out of this world fantastic. Called Studentska, it's full of nuts and dried cherries and (I think) dried fruit. I should have had her translate the package. She also brought a package of Katy bar, which she finds funny as a play on my name, Cathy. I'm sure it will be delicious.

















Needless to say, the Studentska was a perfect pairing with the spiced red wine. Both were rich and fruity.
And here's the recipe for the Spiced Wine Mix. It makes alot, so I usually cut it in half, and still have half to give away.

Spiced Wine Mix
6 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons ground cloves
1 tablespoon allspice
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in an airtight container.

















To prepare hot spiced wine, add 1/2 cup of water to 2 teaspoons dry mix and bring to a boil in a small saucepan.

















 Reduce the heat and add 1 cup dry red wine. Heat through but do not boil the wine. Serve warm with a cinnamon stick. Makes 6 1/4 cups of mix.(Sometimes I put a few cinnamon sticks and orange slices in the pan as the wine is heating. Extra delicious!)

















Cheers! Here's wishing you a warm and cozy evening!
Cathy










Comments

Popular Posts