Just in Time for the Weekend: Easy Oven Pork (or Bear) Stew


Easy Oven Pork Stew


















Yes, this recipe works for bear, too. Bear stew. Yes, I did say bear. When we were in Alaska hubby the avid hunter brought home a few bears. Bear meat is much like pork. It has to be cooked until it's done because of the risk of trichinosis. I could tell you alot about cooking bear meat, but you've probably read more than you ever wanted to know.  So on to the pork part.

I use a nice thick pork roast. Around here it's usualy wild pig, but my friend Eva gifted me with a nice pork roast from one of her hogs. (So nice to have domestic meat once in awhile!) I love knowing where my meat comes from.

Naturally this recipe is versatile, my fave word. Sometimes I add jalapenos, or green chiles, or use sweet potatoes, purple potatoes, golden potatoes...well, you get the idea. Like most basic recipes, it's a good one to have handy. And it's great over rice or egg noodles.

Oven Pork Stew
1 pound lean pork pieces, cut into 1-2 inch chunks
3 medium potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
6-8 carrots, peeled and cut in 1 inch slices
1 medium onion, cut in wedges
2 beef flavor bouillon cubes or envelopes (which I dissolve in the water)
1 cup water
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. About 2 1/2 hours before serving trim the excess fat from the pork pieces. In a 9 x 13 inch pan combine all of the ingredients, except for the flour. Evenly sprinkle the top of the pork mixture with flour. Cover the casserole with foil and bake 1 3/4-2 hours or until the pork and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

NOTE: I always add just a light sprinkling of our signature Herbs de Provence de Oklahoma for extra flavor.

















Now you see why this is versatile. This week I added chopped fresh jalapenos. The time before that I added a few turnips. It's one of those easy recipes you can improvise depending on the season and what's available from your garden.

Try this for an easy, hearty Sunday dinner. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend.
Cathy

Comments

Popular Posts