Celebrating the First Lavender of the Season!

The first lavender has officially started blooming here at Turkey Creek. This is always a cause for celebration!






















In honor of this glorious day we are toasting with a little Lavender Lemonade and Lavender Fairy Cookies.
















Let's start with the Lavender Lemonade. First make your lavender simple syrup. Simple, easy and you can find out how by reading this how-to in a previous post. After it is cooled and strained add 1/2 to 1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 2 cups of cold water. Of course this is done to taste. Some people like their lemonade sweeter, and some like it a little more tart so adjust accordingly. Stir thoroughly and chill.

While the lemonade is chilling make your Lavender Sugar. I guess this should be a post all by itself, but it's really easy. I not only keep lavender sugar on hand all the time for adding to recipes and tea, but I also grind enough culinary lavender buds to add to recipes at a moments notice.

Lavender Sugar
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon lavender buds

Grind lavender buds in a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder until they become a powder. Mix thoroughly with the sugar. The longer you let the sugar sit the more infused it will be with that lovely lavender flavor.

It will look like this...

















Lavender Sugar would make a lovely gift all packaged up with some lavender tea and lavender cookies for Mother's Day...just a thought!

















So now that the lavender sugar is made simply mix up your favorite sugar cookie recipe. I use this one, our family favorite, for all of my sugar cookies. It makes a nice, easy to work dough. For the Lavender Fairy Cookies use a small round cutter. It will make alot of cookies, but you will be sandwiching them together with icing. Sprinkle the top of each cookie with Lavender Sugar and bake accordingly.


























When they are cooled, sandwich together with a simple buttercream icing.















Note for the non-bakers: Yes, it is just as darling if you use that roll of prepared sugar cookie dough and canned frosting!

For a stronger lavender flavor just stir some of the whole buds into the dough before baking. We love them that way, too!













You might like to try Easy Lavender Shortbread Cookies! Also delicious with Lavender Lemonade.

Now that the first lavender of the season is blooming the others won't be far behind!






















I can't wait! Hope you are having a wonderful spring day wherever you are!

Comments

Katie said…
I love those cookies! Though mine are never quite as good as yours! By the way I love the new profile pic of you! Such a pretty momma.
Cathy said…
Hey girl! Thanks! And I know yours are just as good 'cause we use the same recipe but mine are made especially for you with extra love! Maybe that's why they taste better to you! Hugs!!!
Anonymous said…
Hi Kathy,
I am Mary Lou's daughter-in-law and I've been hearing about your lavender farm for awhile now. I'm so glad your Uncle Jack sent me the link to your website. I tried growing lavender myself (I have other herbs in the garden that do well) but I've not done well with the lavender. Where can I buy your products? My husband, James, says "hello."
Cathy said…
Hi Jessica! So good to hear from you. I sent you an e-mail direct, so let me know if you don't get it. It explains a bit more about where we are and what's going on, the lavender. Hope to have listings up on etsy next week! Just making soap like crazy! Hugs to you and James! Tell him "hi" from us!

Cathy

Popular Posts