Longing For Fall? Make Pumpkin Bread! And Back at the Market...Lavender Gingersnap Soap!

It's easy to fool yourself into thinking fall is on the way. We are at day 71 of over 100 degrees, a new record, and there is just no end in sight. If you're like me and just sick of it, you can fake it. (Until you go outside, that is.)

Well, I faked it today and made a batch of pumpkin bread and muffins, and scarfed some down with a cold, frosty glass of apple cider. It was so nice to pretend.

















I received this recipe from Rosie Wright of Hurley, Missouri when I got married back in 1979. It was clipped to a homemade recipe holder her husband Orie had made me in his woodshop. Orie was the minister of the Primitive Baptist Church in Hurley where my Nana and Teta attended. Teta, known to everyone else as Mote Gwaltney, was a deacon at the church, and I have so many childhood memories of that simple, little church and of Orie in the pulpit. I remember one Sunday in particular when Orie was talking about manna in his sermon. I was probably around eight at the time and I leaned over to Nana and asked her what manna was. I know I whispered, but somehow Orie heard it. He stopped mid-sentence and smiled down at me in that sweetly gentle way he had, then took the time to explain exactly what manna was. Needless to say, I was mortified to have everyone looking at me, but I have never forgotten that lesson. Nor the delicious potluck lunches every Sunday, or the baptisms in a burbling creek.

And that is why this Pumpkin Bread recipe is so special. Plus, it's versatile. You start with the simple recipe and add your favorite things. And it works well for both bread and muffins. Today I added walnuts to the bread, and raisins and pecans to the muffins. Sometimes I add pineapple, coconut, and dates. Or blueberries. Or chopped apples. You get the idea. When the kids were little I made them plain since kids don't normally like stuff in muffins. And yes, I've even added a touch of lavender!

Rosie didn't put any directions on the recipe so I just stir together the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another, then stir them together. I don't even get out the mixer, that's how quick and easy this is.

Rosie Wright's Pumpkin Bread
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup salad oil (I use vegetable oil)
2 eggs
1/3 cup water
1 cup nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir dry ingredients together in one bowl. Stir wet ingredients together in a seperate bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir until combined. Stir in nuts plus anything else you want to add, such as raisins, etc.

Spray one large loaf pan with vegetable oil spray. Pour in batter and bake approximately 1 hour, to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Makes 1 large loaf.

NOTE: I usually use 2 smaller pans, 7 3/8 x 3 5/8 x 2 1/4, and bake 45-50 minutes.



















Or 1 dozen muffins, baked 20-25 minutes. And you can use a variety of toppings.
Sprinkled With
Powdered Sugar















Slathered in Butter













Dipped in Melted Butter
And Brown Sugar
 




























And if that wasn't enough, our small batch, handmade Lavender Gingersnap soap will be back at the Lawton Farmer's Market this Saturday. (Follow the link for my favorite gingersnap recipe!)


Still need more inspiration? Hop on over to Holiday with Matthew Mead! Order your copy of his fabulous magazine and follow the instructions for entering to win a $250 gift card! Fall will be here before you know it!


 Hope to see you Saturday at the market!
: ) Cathy

Comments

Cocobong Soaps said…
Your pumpkin bread and gingersnap soap have me drooling already in the early am hours. Can I come over and sample, please?
Cathy said…
Absolutely! Pumpkin bread is always good for a midnight snack with cold milk! :)
Katie said…
I love that pumpkin bread! It is my favorite!
Cathy said…
And now you have the recipe at your fingertips for all time! It is Sept. 1 and what, 68 degrees up there in the northwest? Make it today! Your house will smell so good!
Lindy said…
Hi Cathy, gosh, I haven't visited Turkey Creek Lavender in such a long time. I was googling for a pumpkin bread recipe (we are still trying to move into our house and I haven't found all my cookbooks yet) and spotted your blog in the list. I'm going to make a few of these and take them to people for Thanksgiving - thanks for the recipe and the wonderful story of the origins of the recipe.
Cathy said…
Hi Lindy, I keep trying other recipes, but I always come back to this one. Just too simple, and always good! Love watching the progress on the house. One day I'll take the plunge and build my dream home!

Popular Posts