Freaky Finger Cookies for Halloween and My Favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe

It's almost Halloweeeen! And even though I don't have little ones anymore, and don't get trick-or-treaters out here in the country, we still do our fair share of decorating, baking, and consuming.

All of my big boys still expect it. So, along with a few bags of candy, I usually bake or brew up something spooky and special. Always a crowd pleaser...
Freaky Finger Cookies.

I took them to work last Halloween and heard alot of "eeeewwww's", but they were consumed, right down to the last nub!

And...bonus! This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe, my go-to of all time, the one I've been making for almost 30 years in every shape, color, size, you name it! Easy to mix, easy to roll, easy to bake, and delicious. Did I mention the "V" word? No? Oh yeah...it's versatile! I add different flavorings, toppings, nuts, icing, no icing, lavender, I roll it, shape it, cut it. Just a great all-around recipe to have.

Cathy's Favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe
1 cup butter or margarine (I use Parkay stick margarine)
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Chill dough. On a floured surface roll dough to 1/8 inch thick and cut desired shapes. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven 6-8 minutes. Yield: about 6 dozen. This recipe also doubles well.

Note: For the fingers you will need a package of sliced almonds for the grisly fingernails! Also, I added 1 teaspoon of almond extract because I like them to be almondy (Is that a word? No? Guess it is now.).
















After I mix the dough I usually just dump it out of the bowl and wrap in saran wrap to chill. It makes cutting off pieces of dough to roll out really easy, and I can pop the dough back into the fridge to stay chilled while I'm working.
Lightly flour your board. For the fingers just cut off a piece of dough and roll it back and forth into finger size, thinner is better because they do spread a little, making fat fingers. Using the edge of a knife make 3 indentations in the middle for the knuckle, then press a slice of almond in the end for the gnarly fingernail. I especially like those broken ones. Eeewww.
Place them on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes. This is great for kids because there's no cutting involved and they just turn out fun and funny no matter what they do to them. Sometimes I brush a little egg white on and add a sprinkle of sugar to a few just for a little shine.

And there you have it, Freaky Finger Cookies. Enjoy!

Cathy

Comments

Unknown said…
I sooooo wish i would have seen these last week before we had our "Fright Night Fun" night. These are soooo cute.
Cathy said…
Hi Faye, at least you'll have the recipe for the future! Thanks for stopping by TCL and becoming a follower!
Kim Bauer said…
Those are THE COOLEST Halloween cookies I have ever seen. I mean it. I am definitely making these with my kids for their halloween party next week.

Thank you so much for sharing them with all of us.

Kim Bauer
Cathy said…
Hi Kim, you are most welcome! And have fun! I so miss having kids to do these fun things with!

Cathy

Popular Posts