Farmer's Market, Farm Fresh Eggs, and French Breakfast Puffs! Happy Sunday!















Good morning friends,

Saturdays early opening of the Lawton Farmer's Market went really well. There were seven of us there selling everything from started tomato and pepper plants, to broccoli, new potatoes, romaine lettuce, squash, onions, radishes, and a few other things, and, oh yeah...soap and lavender. That would be me.

















I think people were pleasantly surprised to see the handmade soap offered at the market. I gave out all of my samples, and sold quite a few bars, a few bundles and talked alot about lavender. I think the lavender lemongrass was the most popular yesterday.














The official opening will be June 5, so make plans to be there early. The new potatoes went first thing!

I bought these beautiful eggs yesterday, and couldn't wait to use them. Farm fresh eggs are so much richer, and have a really beautiful orange yolk. There is no comparison between the store bought eggs and the fresh from the farm variety. And since we are having a lazy morning today before I have to go out and weed the lavender, I decided good old fried eggs and bacon would be a fitting tribute, and some wonderful French Breakfast Puffs.

















My Mom used to make these, and truthfully, I haven't made them in years, but running across the recipe in the Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook jogged my memory. They are a yummy butter and cinnamon laden breakfast confection! So rich, and so easy! They have a somewhat cakey texture, and naturally I wanted to add lavender, but the guys can only take so much floral, so I passed. But I bet it would be good. Maybe in a mini muffin pan to feed alot a little bite...hmmm...good idea...

French Breakfast Puffs
Makes 12

Puffs
3 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 cup milk

Coating
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups (I use vegetable spray).

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Set aside. In a separate large bowl, cream together the sugar and shortening.Add the eggs and mix.Alternate adding 1/3 of the flour mixture and 1/3 of the milk to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden. Remove the muffins from the pan and set aside.To make the coating, melt the butter in a bowl or glass pan, usually about a minute in the microwave. In a separate container, combine the sugar and cinnamon.Dip the warm muffins in the butter, coating thoroughly. Then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll again. Really coat them. Really! Serve and enjoy!

Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond says these freeze well and can be reheated later. I don't think there will be any to freeze and reheat around here, but that's good to know for future reference.

Hope you have a wonderful, and relaxing Sunday. I'll be at the Lawton Farmer's Market on Wednesday with more soap and lavender. Hope to see you there!

CL

Comments

Popular Posts