Quick and Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


















This Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is perfect for the transition from spring to summer baking. This rhubarb was actually from last years garden and has been safely tucked into the freezer. The historical Oklahoma drought of 2011 did my poor rhubarb in, and it did not come back this year. So, while cleaning out the freezer to make room for more of Eva's goat milk, I spied a package waiting to be used.

When I was younger I was not a fan or rhubarb. Just too tart. Something happens to those taste buds as we get older. Now I find it delicious. Go figure.

The only concession is that I don't like it by itself. I like it with something else, usually strawberries. Strawberry Rhubarb Jam is a favorite now.

This recipe is adapted from another recipe that only had plain old rhubarb, so you can make it that way if you want to.

I bake my rhubarb crisp in individual ramekins so I can share with my neighbors. For the sake of the picture I removed it from the ramekin. These are cool little dishes, a gift from my brother and sis-in-law for Christmas one year from Crate and Barrel. We use them for soup, stew, I even bake chicken pot pie in them. Very cool.

















Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
3 cups rhubarb, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups strawberries, cut in half, or quartered, depending on size
2/3 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
10 tablespoons cold butter
1 cup old fashioned oats

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Chop and put the rhubarb and strawberries in a large bowl. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of granulated sugar and toss. Evenly divide the rhubarb and strawberries among eight 1 cup ramekins. Stir together the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in the cold butter until it is coarsely mixed. Stir in the oats. Sprinkle the topping generously over the rhubarb-strawberry mixture in each ramekin. Bake 40-50 minutes until the topping is brown and the filling bubbly. Serve warm with fresh sweetened whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream. Yumm!

I'm hoping one of the farmers at the Lawton Farmer's Market will have rhubarb this year. Keeping my fingers crossed! Perhaps I should add a little lavender. Hmmmmmm.....

Have a wonderful day, wherever you are!


Comments

Popular Posts