New Vendor at the Lawton Farmer's Market: Cedar Hill Quail Farm

Wow! Great to see everyone today at the market. Thanks for coming out, despite the heat. Sorry to say I forgot my camera, so I can't show you all the wonderful potatoes, onions, green beans, beets, greens, cabbage, squash and other items that were available, in addition to the soap. What I can show you are these little beauties...
















Aren't they just adorable? I love their pretty brown speckles. Do you know what they are?
















Here is one compared to a regular sized chicken egg. Any ideas yet?
We have a new vendor at the Lawton Farmer's Market: Cedar Hill Quail Farm. Yes, that's right. It's quail eggs. I bought 2 dozen. They're small. I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with them, but I had to try them. The nice folks from Cedar Ridge suggested boiling or pickling. Uh, I wanted to taste them today, so boiling won over pickling.
I did the standard boiled egg technique that I talked about here. However, I think the white's were a little overdone so I suggest, with an egg this small, just bringing it to a boil and immediately turning it off or they could get tough. Then I just sliced a few up...
...and had them on salad with some sliced, farm fresh sweet onion. (Okay, I also popped a few in my mouth. They were small, okay?!) I thought they were delish, and the yolks were very mild and not as rich and eggy as a regular farm egg. It was a nice little gourmet treat, straight from the farm, and straight from the producer. I think they would make a wonderful, elegant little appetizer, perhaps deviled. Not something you see in Lawton every day. A little on the gourmet side. Yeah, we're getting upscale down here!

Cedar Hill also had live quail at the market. They were so cute. They may even custom prepare the birds to order. (I forgot to ask.) But I know you're going to want to check them out anyway.
They're very photogenic, don't you think?

My apologies to those of you who came for "Oh, Happy Day!" and I was sold out. I'll have more next week.

Enjoy your weekend!
Cathy

Comments

Popular Posts