A Craving for Apple Crumb Pie

You know how it is when you're hungry for something. I know you know. Sometimes it's something specific. Like Snickerdoodles. Or unspecific. Like chocolate. Anything chocolate will do. Unless it's on a day when you want chocolate brownies. I once had a friend who would get hungry for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner in July. She would prepare the entire meal, right down to the cranberries.  In July. Go figure. But the sad fact is...you've just gotta have it.

Well today it's Apple Crumb Pie. I've been making this recipe for well over 20 years, since we were at our first duty station at Ft. Riley, Kansas. It's sort of a crisp, and sort of a pie. It's appie pie with a crumb topping. And so easy and fast. Sometimes I make just one. And sometimes I make them for a crowd, like four or six at a time.

It continues to be a perennial favorite around here.  I always keep those Pilsbury Ready Crusts on hand just in case. (Don't lecture me. I make a lousy pie crust.)

Apple Crumb Pie 
4 or more large, tart apples (I use whatever I have on hand!)
1 plain pastry for a 9-inch pie pan
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Topping
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup butter or margarine

Pare apples. Cut into eighths (or smaller) and arrange in a pastry-lined pie pan. Mix 1/2 cup sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle over apples.


















Sift 1/2 cup sugar with flour. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples. Bake 40-50 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
While the pie is baking go pet the cat and check your e-mail, and make a pot of coffee to go with your warm pie.
Then feed the craving. 

Sometimes I feel like adding chopped walnuts and raisins. Sometimes I'll cut up a pear and add that in. Sometimes I make this same pie in a tart pan. Obviously this recipe is open for interpretation!

The main thing is...enjoy, my friends, enjoy!
Cathy

Comments

Cathy and Steve said…
Oh gosh, I want to hop on a plane with a fork in one hand and a mug of tea in the other! I never think of apple anythings in the spring - only the fall when they are in season around here - and mind you, my husband absolutely loves everything apple - pie, tart, crumble, cake..... guess what he's getting for a treat tonight! Looks simply luscious, Cathy
Cathy said…
I hope you got to try the recipe out Cathy. It really is so easy. We seem to eat apple stuff year round, especially apple pie during picnic season with homemade ice cream. Yummy yummy. It gets so hot here so early, unlike the northeast, and yes, I admit it, I'm already breaking out the ice cream maker! Perhaps I'll burn it off weeding lavender! hah!

Popular Posts