"Why is your farm called Turkey Creek Lavender? And where the heck is Turkey Creek?"

Okay, here's yet another question I get asked alot. So let's get this out of the way. Why did I pick Turkey Creek Lavender as a name?

Well, we have a creek running through our property, but it doesn't have a name. If it has a name, I don't know it. And we have turkeys. And we have lavender. So...this is why I named it Turkey Creek Farm, and consequently, Turkey Creek Lavender...














Because we have turkeys. Wild Rio Grande turkeys.

We are blessed with lots of them. (We used to have a cool Turkey Crossing sign out by the road but sadly someone stole it. If anyone knows where I can find another one this big I would appreciate the heads up. This one came from the National Wild Turkey Federation.)

Sometimes they land on the fence...














and sometimes they like the front yard...















...but most of the time they like the field.














I find them wonderful, and beautiful, and fascinating. I know not everyone does. But I do. I'm weird that way. And I'm protective, and, okay, I worry about them. When you watch them on a daily basis it's kind of hard not to. If there were 5 toms yesterday, why are there only 3 today? Where are the other 2?! And when the females start nesting and are all by their lonesome, who will protect them from the predators we have around here, like bobcats, and coyotes? Hmmm? I ask you.

So, Turkey Creek Lavender was born out of my love for my little farm with it's unnamed creek, and my love for the turkeys, and my love for the lavender.

If you have any more questions please feel free to email me at clfieldturkeycreeklavender@gmail.com and I would be happy to answer.

Thanks for stopping by!
CL

Comments

Popular Posts