Super Bowl Food TCL Farm Style!

Hi guys! I'm back after my little January hiatus. If you've been following the blog for the last few years you already know I take a little break to refresh and renew. I finally decided to commit to doing the 12 weeks of "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron. Really, wow! If you are feeling creatively blocked, stymied, or stuck the daily committment to 3 pages of free writing alone will get things churning.

For me, creativity is not the problem. I'm crazy creative. For me, focus is the problem. But we'll leave that for another day. Just be prepared. February posts will have alot to do with inspiration, creativity, and self nurturing.

I'm assuming most of you are getting ready to enjoy the Super Bowl. (Or putting in a movie to avoid the Super Bowl.) Here at the farm we usually grill some wild game something. Usually doves. Sometimes ducks. Often deer or elk sliders. Today we're not grilling. At all. But we're still having wild game.

And we're having...da doves. So if you're not a wild game eater this is probably not a post you'll be interested in. But it is crazy-knock-you-sideways delicious!!! Cooked slow in the oven they turn out falling off the bone tender!

The hubster saw this recipe on Jeff Foxworthy's outdoor show Jeff Foxworthy Outdoors. Believe me, any time the hubster shows an interest in any recipe I'm definitely going to try it. The only change I would make is to add some chopped jalapenos or hot sauce to the barbecue sauce, and cayenne pepper to the flour mixture cause we like things a little spicy around here. We like KC Masterpiece barbecue sauce the best. (Any time I try to deviate I meet with rebellion and grumbling!) These are great as a nibble or main course.



















Barbecued Dove
8-10 dove breasts
1/2 cup vinegar
1 1/2 cups white wine
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
4 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons peanut oil (I used vegetable oil)
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Marinate the doves in vinegar, water and 1/2 cup white wine for at least 4 hours or overnight. (I did overnight.)

Remove the doves from the marinade and pat dry. Mix flour, salt and paprika in a gallon-size freezer bag and add breasts two at time. Shake to coat thoroughly.

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Mix butter and oil in a hot skillet and brown dove breasts on all sides. Remove to a casserole dish, breast side up. (I use a cast iron skillet, so I just leave them in that.) Combine barbecue sauce, 1 cup white wine and lemon juice. Pour over dove breasts. Bake for 2 hours, or until tender. Add more wine if more liquid is needed.

Note: The dove breasts were done right at the 2 hour mark and super tender.

Hey, and thanks for stopping by the blog today! Hugs! Cathy

Comments

Jade said…
Oh, I love The Artist's Way! It sounds like you have lots of interesting things in store for this year.
Cathy said…
Thanks Jade! I wake up every day and look forward to trying something new! I even bought paint for my Artist Date! I love creativity in all its many forms!Soap making being one of the, of course!

Popular Posts