What is Surviving the Blistering Heat of Summer?

The record heat wave continues here in southwest Oklahoma! I've given up wishing for rain. Not even my rain dance works anymore!

Despite the heat, there are a few plants that just keep going. Thankfully. Otherwise everything would just be different shades of dead! It's about this time of year that I take stock of what survived in the garden so that next year I won't waste time and money on things that aren't suitable for our climate.

As usual, my zinnias are a solid and proven survivor, year after year.



Happy yellow sunflowers...
...the bottle tree ...
...okay, just a little joke!...but I do love my bottle tree, and it adds alot of color and is the only thing that doesn't take water!...
...pots filled with mexican heather, pentas and asparagus fern...

















...the herbs, especially the basil and chives...
















...vinca, aka periwinkle, more penta's and some variegated sweet potato vine...
...moss rose, aka portulaca grandiflora, and, naturally, lavender!
















As you can see, I like to use the common names and not the latin names. Sorry, my memory is just not good enough to remember too much latin! And, as you can see, I have a fondness for lavender and pink flowers in the garden. I just sort of gravitate to all things lavender!

Now that it is September it won't be long until I start pruning back the lavender. Thanks to the drip irrigation the lavender is looking pretty good, although I did lose alot of plants. I gave in and planted six Munstead. I don't know why I keep trying to get this to grow. They all died yet again. I won't be planting it again. Ever.

I'm going to try seeding the field with wildflowers this fall, and poppies. Lots of poppies. Wouldn't that be gorgeous against the blooming lavender?

Here's hoping September brings an end to this brutal drought and we can enjoy a lovely fall!

Comments

Popular Posts