Next on my Agenda this Summer...The Lawton Farmer's Market...And a Farm to Table Food Challenge Just for You!

I've been at the Lawton Farmer's Market on Saturdays this summer, unless I had another event to attend, but more on that later.













  It's a wonderful blessing to be able to do the farmer's market each week. I love getting to interact with the customers and talk about lavender in its many forms. We chat about cooking with lavender and exchange recipe ideas, about how to use lavender when cooking with the wide variety of fruits and vegetables available there at the market, the aromatherapeutic benefits and how to use lavender for that, too, as well as what to do with bundles and buds, and the soaps. We chat alot about the soaps. Because only essential oils are used in the soaps they, too, become a form of aromatherapy, which leads to lots of wonderful conversation about the different properties of each one.
Tipton Valley Honey is usually there with their wonderful honey products. I take a tablespoon of their honey every day, with 1/8th of a teaspoon of bee pollen and I swear it helps my allergies and gives me energy.

Check out Murphy Farms peaches, apples and extensive produce. You can even pre-order large quantities, like if you want to try our hand at canning green beans or making pickles or jam this summer for Christmas gifts--just like Martha Stewart!
















And a few of the other wonderful vendors with their beautiful produce...

































...and this is just a few of our vendors. There are the marvelous farm fresh eggs with their rich and creamy yolks, and right now lots of beautiful and delicious melons from Rush Springs and the surrounding area, the local iris society has been bringing iris rhizomes to sell, and Pepper Creek Farms has been bringing their yummy food products, like jams, jellies, relishes and so on.

So here's your challenge for next weekend. Go to the Lawton Farmer's Market and purchase all you will need for a Farm to Table feast. People all over the country are doing this. Perhaps the protein can be your eggs, or make it a vegan meal. What a fun challenge! You will be reaping the benefits of buying directly from a small farmer, one that you have met face to face, nutrient-rich fresh food, and salmonella-free eggs, and helping the local economy. I made a wonderful frittata with zucchini, onions, and peppers this weekend, followed by fresh canteloupe with lavender salt. Mmmmm! Oh, and don't forget to stop by and pick up a pack of Turkey Creek Lavender Culinary Lavender or Herbs de Provence de Oklahoma!

Oh the adventure! Remember the challenge now. I'll see you Saturday!

Cathy

Comments

Katie said…
How lucky our we, with two posts rather close together. I think we should extend the invite as I am no longer local however there is tons of fresh produce in the Pacific NW. Right now everything is ripe and ready. The sweet produce are my favorite, cheeries, etc. Do you have much experience with drying fruit? What would I need to make a wonderful trail mix? When I lived in Santa Monica, CA I would hit the market every Wednesday and there was the most wonderful trail mix with nuts, dried cheeries, apricots, etc.
Katie said…
Whoops spelling errors or rather typos in my post..
Cathy said…
Hi Katie, Absolutely! You guys in the NW have so many fantastic resources! Making your own trail mix is so easy. I use a dehydrator for drying fruit and it works very well. Perhaps someone at the market sells dried fruit up there. You would think they would, wouldn't you?! I'll have to post a recipe for trail mix, but it should include all your favorite things, like almonds, dried cherries, dried peaches, and so forth! I expect to hear about your Farm to Table dinner!!
Kathleen said…
So inspired to visit our new little farmer's market this week. Things are winding down here as far as harvests go, but still it is nice to visit with the local farmers.

Can't wait to try the sorbet recipe from your previous post! Yum!

Kathleen
Cathy said…
Hi Kathleen, thanks for stopping by TCL. The sorbet recipe is one that can easily be changed to suit your taste, too. I love versatile recipes!
La Maison Fou said…
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. I know Southern Living?
I am so excited!
My niece lives in Lawton (military).......
Have a wonderful day!
Okla rocks!
L.
Cathy said…
You're right Leslie, Okla does rock! Tell your niece to come by and say hi on Saturdays at the Lawton Farmer's Market! Such a small world!
Well I'm not near your farmer's market, but we have lots of fresh veggies and apples right now out of our own garden adn it it wonderful to have the fresh food literally at our door. (even has some lavender plants too!)
Cathy said…
I do wish I could grow the English lavenders but it's just too hot here! I know your garden is lovely!

Popular Posts